This past weekend, Rob and I took a long weekend in Martha’s Vineyard. It was our first time away since our honeymoon, three years ago. I guess you could call it a babymoon, but it was more like “Use the Pregnancy to Guilt Hubs into Taking a Weekend Off… Moon.”
This morning, my mom, sister, and I met at the specialist’s office. Here are short hand notes (because it’s a short hand kind of night):
- ultrasound tech was not warm & fuzzy
- tech was strict about no video or photo, even though we had been allowed to take both at the NT scan at the same location
- baby was facing my insides, which made it difficult for tech to get all measurements
- in fact, despite our best efforts (sugar, cold water, dancing, loud music, turning side to side), baby would not budge
- for an hour and a half, we tried and tried, but baby barely moved
- tech mentioned that this “worried her” a bit… who says that to a pregnant woman?!?
- tech checked heartbeat twice once baby wasn’t moving
- we got a tiny bit of responsiveness after I ate an amazing hazelnut cookie (or two) – thanks to my sister’s stash!!!
- baby was giving “rock on” symbol with one hand, which I immediately attributed to baby not having all 5 fingers on that hand, because that’s just how neurotic I am
- I got chastised several times for not having eaten breakfast before my appointment
- I was asked if I’m eating regularly and well…Uuuuh hello, I’m +12 pounds right now, which is frightening
- doc came in and said measurements they were able to record all look good – within 5 days of what was expected (slightly behind)
- doc said this lack of movement / inability to get all measurements needed happens in approx. 1 in 10 women and baby was probably just comfy and stubborn
- I return in 2 weeks to complete the scan since they could not get all of the measurements
Now, in spite of doc telling me repeatedly not to worry, of course I am worried! I am worried because I was starting to feel much more movement a few days ago and have barely felt anything since. Worried because baby was so so mellow today in spite of my best efforts. Worried because of the measurements that are a bit behind.
I know that none of these warrant legit worry – at least not yet – but what can I say. My battle to get this far did not exactly result in a calm and easy going prego. I can’t make apologies for that. I try to keep it in check (and publicly, I do, … for the most part!), but as for what goes on in my already anxiety prone mind, well, I don’t have much control over that. Just praying that the next 2 weeks fly by and that I get some peace of mind at my next visit.